I've got to admit...i'm slightly BAH HUMBUG this year! don't get me wrong, i LOVE Christmas, but my camera is dead, and i've been so busy that there really hasn't been much time for decorating, christmas shopping, blogging, etc. So let me give a quick update on what has been going on with me the last few weeks...
1. My Freshman girls won their first basketball game of the season today! I cannot tell you how much they have grown as basketball players and as a team. I told them before the game started that i know they can win and they believed me! They played with so much heart and won by 11! It's nice to see the things that i'm teaching them being used in games! They are all wonderful girls and I am looking forward to coaching them the rest of the season.
2. My camera is dead...sorry no pictures! We have been playing outside in the beautiful weather but don't have any pictures to prove it.
3. Sick boys...Clifton has been sick for about 2 weeks now, and Curtis is about 3 days behind him. I have been fortunate enough to feel just fine, and not get sick. But i have a feeling that it's gonna hit me and it's gonna be hard! I know it's coming...dun da duh!!!
4. Round Valley Tournament...Last week i went with the varsity girls to the Round Valley tournament and had a blast!!! i had 2 girls in my room with me which was way fun. we talked girl talk and i was reminded of how much i hated high school. We beat the home team which was unexpeted! Kindof nice being the underdog! Well, going along the the title of this post, i have a story for you!.......Having attended the tournament several years ago, i anticipated what the weekend would be like. For example, 3 games going on at once (in the dome), rival teams staying in the same hotel, 2 games a day, etc. One aspect that i put way back in my mind was the annual dance that goes hand in hand with the tournament. Coach asked me if i would "chaperone" the girls at the dance, and bring them home in one piece. To maximize our dance time, we got there early (i think we may have been the first team there) because we had the early game the next morning so we had to leave the dance early. With me so far? Good. I danced with my girls and enjoyed bonding with them outside of basketball, and then a slow song came on. Remember how high school dances work? everyone scatters and finds a chair on the wall! I kept a good eye and all of my girls making sure that they were being appropriate, but at the same time, I found myself feeling sorry for my high school self sitting during the slow song (weird how my mind went back to high school). Don't get me wrong...in no way was i there to dance with teenage boys! but i felt sad for myself because it was like i was in high school again. funny! anyway, the very next song, was a country song and out of the corner of my eye i see a boy walking towards me. "Do you wanna dance?" he askes. "Sure!" As i stand up to dance with this young man, i glance down the line of girls sitting in chairs against the wall, and shake my fist in the air like i just won first place in the "Make A Boy Feel Awkward Competition" !!! The conversation went like this:
Boy: So you from around here?
Me: No...
Boy: Oh so where are you from?
Me: Thatcher
Boy: Cool. So you play?
Me: Nope...
Boy: Oh, so...um, you're a coach?
Me: Yup!
Boy: Okay...
Me: What's your name?
Boy: James
Me: Cool! What grade are you in James?
James: I'm a senior.
Poor kid! He probably thought he as doing a good thing and asked the girl who sat by herself to dance! Anyway, we ended the dance with a high five, and i walked back to a crowd of giddy girls wanting to hear the story!
PAH!!! So fun!
The next day, i was approched by many of the other chaperones and they told me that i was quite the dancer, and when the girls and i took off the party died! Oh what fun!
Pictures to come soon (as soon as i get my camera fixed)!!! and sorry for the bad grammar and spelling...it's late and stuff!
5 comments:
Good hearing from you! Isn't it funny to look back on high school? Thanks for sharing the funny stories! Good luck with your sickies!
Haha! Janiel, that's the best story ever! I loved the Round Valley Tournament, although I never went to the dance. Trisha, Alisa, and I stayed at the hotel and did our hair crazy to scare everyone when they came back. Good times!
My girls just won their first game the other game too! Doesn't it feel great to actually see them improving and playing as a team? I love it! Anyway, good luck with things. Merry Christmas!
P.S. I have a blog too....
www.kristinaadele.blogspot.com
You crack me up! HAHAHAHA
So... did you get his number?
Hah!!!!! That was great!!! And what did you think would happen when your group left? Of course the party dies when you leave!! That might be why our parties lasted to long! Oh, that was awesome about that boy!!
Post a Comment